Yesterday was a very nice sea day that ended "up" with a wonderful dinner shared with a Scottish couple and an English couple and much laughter then later on "down" with Laurel eventually being quarantined for 24 hours with Norovirus. She's OK now, just in quarantine in the cabin till tomorrow.
Michael hopped the shuttle bus to Shanghai and wandered around the main downtown shopping area and The Bund--an old European architectural area along the river that was the "International Concession" after the Opium wars and up to the 1930s. Quite neat. Across the river is the new business area of Shanghai, with huge modern--not to say strange--buildings--the "oriental pearl" TV tower (think Eiffel tower, but bigger and taller with 3 tubes at the bottom supporting one big ball, tubes up to a second big ball, one tube up to a third smaller ball then a TV tower on top of that) and a building known in English as "the bottle opener" because that is what it looks like--square hole at the top, 80 something stories high. Google if you're curious. Walking along The Bund is complicated by the fact that they are building a new subway line along there and everything is under construction.
Nothing much else to report. 2 sea days, then The Great Wall for us!
I can see that you guys are getting a lot done in a short period of time. So cool. Glad you are having a great time.
ReplyDeleteVeronica
I had written a newsy little dribble about the swine flu outbreak and what we hear in the news and some inane stuff about the weather but when I posted it , somehow due to the wonders of modern technology and my ineptitude it dissappeared...So I won't write it again! Mum was over on Thursday for dinner and card making, a good time...I was out to St. Vital mall with Caroline and Colin yesterday(Friday) , returining the duvet set you and I had bought,Laurel. It,when washed for the first time, developed all sorts of flaws in the fabric. Luckily they gave me a credit on my HBC account for the full amount and I am back shopping again for a coverlet.The weather is finally turning. Sylvia said that we have had 5 consecutive months where the temps have been below normal. So have we made a new normal?I shall sighn off and try to get this post to stick this time. Mum was over and watered the plants on her way to my house on Thursday and said they are all thriving.
ReplyDeleteBlog on...Love Linda